Sunday, April 26, 2009

Book Review


I love to read, it is one of my favorite things to do. There is nothing better than taking a break from the world and immersing yourself in a good book. I have to tell you about a book I read that I highly recommend, it's titled The Boy in The Striped Pajamas, by John Boyne. My 11 year old actually brought it home from school to read. You may remember if from a movie that came out last year. It is a young adult book and an easy read. It is a story about two boys, one a prisoner in a concentration camp one the father of a Nazi prison leader. It was a beautifully written and poignant story. The author said he felt that the best way to write about such a controversial subject was from the point of view of an innocent child. The ending is sad, yes but done in such a simple, meaningful way. Please read it and have your kids read it. It would make for a great conversation about a too often forgotten subject. Along the same subject, if you are not familiar with Goodreads.com check it out. It is a great way to see what other people are reading and what they thought about it, as well a keep track of books you want to read. You never have to go to the library without a recommendation again.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll add it to our list. Have you read The Book Thief? It's fab.

    ReplyDelete