Thursday, April 9, 2009

Frequent Flyer Progam


So do they have a frequent flyer discounts for emergency room visits, because if they do, sign me up. I long suspected that we have our local instacare at a greater frequency that than the average family. This week my suspicions were confirmed. Twice we made late night visits, two visits within 3 days. That may just seem like a just a run of bad luck, but as I contemplated I realized that this was my 5th visit in 3 months. That seems like a lot, in fact I was actually concerned that I might actually start getting questioned from child protective services. We do seem to spread the bad luck around though, all my children are clumsy/unlucky, and my husband also is missing the "I probably shouldn't do this" gene. I remember once I was in the emergency room while my husband was getting stitches and my neighbor called saying he was bringing in one of my children so just stay were I was. Two totally seperate injuries on the same day, that just shouldn't happen. Maybe our last family vacation will give you a better idea of what I have to deal with. We were staying in a kind of remote little mexican town, that had a nice hotel resort but not much else. About the second night we were there my oldest son slipped at the pool and cracked his head open. It was late, we found a local pharmacia and got some supplies and super glue and glued it up. Two days later, my youngest son did almost the exact same thing, but worse. This time we found a little medical clinic, where we gave them pesos and they had someone who we hope was a doctor stitch him up. It was quite an interesting experience. After that I threatened the kids with severe bodily injury if any of them got hurt again. The last night we were there my husband took the kids out for some fun, that fun apparently included mexican fireworks. Can you guess the rest. Yes, don't trust the fuses on cheap fireworks, one firecracker exploded in my husbands hand. He dropped the kids off and went back to the medical clinic and got it bandaged up, he didn't even let me see it. We left for home the next morning, he was in a lot of pain for the 14 hour drive home. When home he went to the emergency room and they sent him up to the burn clinic . His fingers were black and he had to have the skin scraped off. OUCH. Followed with weeks of special skin treatement. So yes we had a fun packed week. But I digress, this week we were lucky only a severly sprained wrist from doing a back hand spring, and a severly sprained ankle from volleyball practice. (He shouldn't have even been at volleyball practice because he had his wisdom teeth taken out the day before, but that is another story.) The picture is from two weeks ago, my middle son slid into second base at school during a kickball game and ripped up his knee on the screw holding the base in place. That was a good 40 stitches wound. The funny thing is when he slid they threw the ball at him and missed him so he got up and ran home with a mangled knee. I love my kids but sometimes I wonder if I can survived them. I do know that Heavenly Father sent them to me because there probably aren't very many other mothers who would survive it.

1 comment:

  1. OK, that is waaaaaaaaay too many injuries for one family. But, I always fel bad for people who say they've never had stitches or a broken bone-- clearly they haven't had enough fun.

    ReplyDelete